Table of Contents
If you plan to walk a long road, it’s best to start with why.
Why I’m Aiming for $500 MRR by 2025
Why have I set this arbitrary dollar goal for an arbitrary date?
Mostly for the allure of time freedom. Financial freedom sounds great too.
- $500 MRR doesn’t sound like much, but it’s infinitely more than zero. Hard, reusable lessons will be learned along the way.
- Corporate America isn’t kind to new parents. We plan to have children around 2027. I plan to make myself available.
- We want to own a home someday, but also want to stay connected to NYC. This will require capital that I don’t have.
- Pouring my daily energy into my venture will be more fulfilling than maximizing shareholder value for another BigCorp.
Micro SaaS Update
Top Lessons Learned
- The #1 cause of death for any startup is: Nobody wants the product
- If you want to sell software online, start by finding a market
- A market is: A group of people that you can reach who will pay for things
Accomplished This Week
- Aggressively highlight the startup how-to book Start Small Stay Small
- Explore various SEM tools like SEMRush, Keywords Everywhere
- Start learning Google Ads. Try sending traffic to my book sales page
- Write down my motivations for starting a startup
To Do Next Week
- Spreadsheet full of niche ideas. Use intuition + keyword research
- Finish reading Start Small Stay Small and publish my notes
- Practice with SEM tools like Keywords Everywhere and Google Ads
Developer Entrepreneur Starter Pack
- Old but good how-to book: Start Small Stay Small
- Email marketing tools: ConvertKit
- Pay-per-click marketing: Google Ads
- Metrics on Search Keywords as you Browse: Keywords Everywhere
- Marketing 101: The 22 Immutable Laws of Marketing
- Market Research Tips: The Mom Test
- Startup Mindset: Paul Graham Essays
- Startuppy Podcast: Indie Hackers